Monday, March 5, 2012

March 5, 2012


Welcome to Tanzania!


Mother of a sponsored child - and who knows, perhaps a future sponsored child!


Magugu is famous for its rice.  As you approach the village, you pass by large fields of rice, each plant working hard toward the goal of harvest.  (Well, probably not, but it was poetic.)  As we visited this first site in Tanzania today, the people in the Magugu church demonstrated that they are really working toward their goal of harvest – that of bringing their children to adulthood as healthy, spiritually alive, educated, contributing members of Magugu.  The local committee knew each child, was knowledgeable about each child’s circumstances, and showed compassion and love toward the children, even as we met. 


Homes in Magugu are simple.  Made of mud and stripped tree branches, they provide shelter from the elements, but not much comfort.  Yet, their own comfort seems of little significance to these people as they go about helping the children, sharing the love of God in the community, and meeting together to encourage one another and to worship. 


The children in Magugu stared at me with wondering eyes.  It was hard to imagine what was behind their stares.  But when I began talking with them individually, I found humble, sincere, and very loveable people in small size.   I always talk with the children about what they want to do when they finish their education.  Today, these children had dreams – to be policemen (for sure, Magugu needs Christian policemen!), teachers, nurses, doctors, carpenters, pilots, drivers, journalists, engineers, and ministers.  And then there are the two responses that really warmed my heart in a special way:  One boy replied, “I want to help my parents.”  Another boy answered, “I want to work for Safina (Children of Promise).  Wow.


Well, I should tell you that at the end of the interview sessions and a meal of rice and beans, these precious people dressed me in the traditional blanket worn by men and gave me a mat handmade by one of the COP committee members.  They kept saying that they were small gifts.  They weren’t small gifts.  They were big gifts from a people who have so little materially, and so much in so many other ways.


The Magugu Committee takes such good care of the children!
Capturing the moment for the sponsor.


Tomorrow it’s on to Kiru.  I hope you’ll join me.
Dr. Paul Maxfield
Executive Director



No comments:

Post a Comment