Thursday, March 8, 2012

In Babati Town

March 8, 2012

Today we stayed in Babati town where we visited with about 80 children.   I was so excited to see Pendo again.  Pendo is a high school girl that was sponsored a number of years ago.  I well remember when she was sponsored.  I was so excited that day - because, you see, Pendo, has some challenges that other children do not face.  But, honestly, I was even more excited today as I observed how she has grown, and what a fine young lady she is.  

Pendo is very small for her age, and she has deformed legs, although she can walk with the help of a walking stick.  She is a dedicated student.  Her English is outstanding!  I don't think I ever glanced at her today when she wasn't smiling.  As she interacted with her friends, she was constantly encouraging them, laughing, and helping.  She is obviously very well-liked.

Just another story of a girl from a village who would never have been able to get an education in addition to dealing with her disabilities.  But, because someone was willing to sponsor her, she has a bright future ahead of her.  When asked today what she would like to do in the future, she replied that she wants to work for the government as the district commissioner (that would be equivalent to a county commissioner in the U. S.).  More power to you, Pendo.  I believe you'll do it!
See you tomorrow.

Dr. Paul Maxfield
Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment